There are quite possibly hundreds or even thousands of individual aspects that you could focus on to improve your health, help you lose weight or recover from injury and sometimes it can get a bit confusing.
I’ve chosen 4 that I believe are ‘The Essentials’. They all compliment each other and If you can take steps in the right direction getting these 4 under control you will be well underway in your achieving your desired outcome.
Look at it like this – if you’re not achieving your goals, which aspect of the 4 are you missing? or which one requires a bit more attention.
Regardless of the uniqueness of who we are, these are 4 things we have in common.
1. Movement – this is my specialty.
- I know that you will be moving better in the days following your treatment, due to the effective nature of SCT Release and NMF Power Training. Lets work together to keep it that way.
- Healthy movement – varied movements performed throughout the day. If you sit at a desk, take a break and move. Twist, turn, bend, stretch, reach and rotate. The more variety in your movement the healthier it is. If you go to the gym regularly that’s great – but if you do the same routine for the 3 days a week, that’s not so great. Variety is key! Throw in a yoga class or go rock climbing… do something that moves your body in a different way.
- Unhealthy movement – Your body is highly adaptable, meaning good or bad it will get better and more efficient at performing movements or being in positions that you do the most. Meaning; if you sit down a lot, your body will adapt to be better at sitting down (not a good thing).
2. Nutrition – you are what you eat.
- Would you like your body to make an eyeball out of that mars bar? Seriously! Your body uses the nutrition you put in (good or bad), to nourish, regenerate and heal itself.
- Eating in a positive way can actively decrease inflammation in the body and help create a great healing environment.
- Looking after your nutrition enables your body to get the best out of your treatments or training and therefore the best out of itself!
3. Sleep – give your body a break
- Your body needs time to heal! FACT! And unfortunately somewhere along the way, functioning on less sleep has become a point of pride.
- Sleep seems to be the red headed step-child; clumsily acknowledged, generally overlooked, yet permanently part of the family. Lack of sleep disrupts every physiological function in the body and we have nothing in our biology that allows us to adapt to this behaviour.
- Google “lack of sleep” + “(insert disease name here)” and you’ll quickly realise that sleep deprivation will muck up almost all of your bodily systems and contributes in part to stress, obesity, inflammation, cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
4. Behaviour – what else are you doing?
- You get regular treatments, you move regularly, you feed your body well and you allow it to rest when required but you’re still not achieving your goals. What else could be contributing?
- Bad stress – Stress hormones have side effects that in the long term can play a negative effect on your health. These chemicals contribute to inflammation and heart disease, weaken the immune system and leave us vulnerable to everything from automobile accidents to obesity and depression. When stress persists for too long or becomes too severe, your body’s finely tuned feedback system is disrupted, and over time it runs amok leading to damage.
- Exercise habits – it’s great to go for a run or go to the gym to help relive stress and get your body moving, but are you listening to your body? Take it easy or have a rest day when you need it.
- Postural habits – eg your desk. Do you sit in the one position at work all day and then go home and sit on the couch?
- Anything else? What else are you doing (or not doing) that could be contributing?
My 4 essentials have been adapted from a video on the "Stop Chasing
Pain" youtube channel featuring Adam Wolf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVOIi2NUQu0&feature=youtu.be